For participation in a sweeps
Hey Beautiful People,
How’s your fierce living going?
I’ve been busy watching plants grow. But really though. I have a garden!
Kale, carrots, cilantro, the whole 9 yards (I think the plot is actually 18 x 4… badum ching). I mean, just look at my kale! *swoon* Anyway, I harvested some cilantro…
… and carrots!
Put them together with some kale (also from the garden!), platanos maduros, and an avocado, and you have all the ingredients you need for a perfect Kale Avocado Salad. Look at how small my carrots are in comparison to the avocado! They were teeny-tiny!
All the deets for my adapted Heart-Check Certified Avocado Recipe are below. I opted not to roast the carrots because, well, my carrots wanted to shine! They’d just been harvested, and it’s amazing how much more flavor these tiny carrots had in comparison to store-bought ones. I also switched out the chickpeas for platanos maduros. Super yummy!
To round out the dish, I also adapted an Oven-Roasted Salmon with Avocado Citrus Salsa Recipe. Fresh avocados are heart-healthy, so I figured why not have s’more?!
The cilantro was fresh from my garden! Anything that’s grown in a garden has a zillion times more flavor, so I try to incorporate garden-grown vegetables as much as possible. I substituted garlic for scallions and used clementines instead of an orange! Tomato, toe-mah-toe, right?
Put the salad and the salmon together, and it’s a heart-healthy dinner for sure.
I just need an avocado tree, and I’ll be set for life!
Kale Avocado Salad
- 1 ripe fresh avocados*, peeled, pitted and cubed
- Carrots fresh from your garden!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 large bunch kale (about 1 pound), stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Toss the ingredients together, and set aside.
Oven-Roasted Salmon with Avocado Citrus Salsa
- 1 ripe fresh avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1-2 clementines, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 skinless salmon fillets (approximately 2 oz. each)
- In a medium bowl combine avocado, lime juice, clementines, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt; set aside.
- Heat broiler.
- Season salmon with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Arrange fillets on a lightly greased foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Broil salmon 4 inches from heat source until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
To serve, place the salmon on top of the Kale Avocado Salad, and top with salsa. ¡Buen provecho!